Money, banks, exchange - The Traveller


Post Top Ad

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Money, banks, exchange

The Canadian dollar is worth a little less than the greenback. It is divided into one hundred cents worth in late 2010, about 0.70 €.

- For large expenses (hotels, gas, etc..), The most economical is to settle with a payment card (although a small commission is normally taken by your French bank for each transaction). Indeed, the threshold of money can be withdrawn at the counter with his card is limited, if you pay everything in cash, it may be easily reached. Service stations take the international payment cards the most common; ask anyway before refueling.

- To have cash, the easiest way is to remove on-site with an international payment card at ATMs (called ATM for Automatic Teller Machine) found almost everywhere. A fixed fee (typically $ 2-3 Ca, sometimes in small machines located in shops or hotels) and a small percentage variable being collected for each withdrawal, it is best to withdraw large sums rather than multiplying operations. Specific commissions (usually $ 2-3 Ca) are added when removing small distributors in hotels, service stations or other businesses. Some ATM does not take Visa or MasterCard's.

IMPORTANT: The price shown does not correspond to actual prices. By provinces, but it will add 7 to 15% tax and, in restaurants, the service (about 15%, according to satisfaction).


For the traveler, the cost of living in Canada is roughly comparable to that of France, even a little higher in the English provinces. It is certainly higher than the United States.

One exception: gasoline, about 50% cheaper.
Prices indicated are without taxes.


The price ranges listed are from the high tourist season (summer, except in the ski resorts where, of course, it is in winter as prices rise).

- Cheap: It's up to $ 40 (about 30 €) per person per night (dorm or double room at the inns).
- Average price: 80 to 140 CA $ (60 to 105 €) per night for 2 in a private room (hotel, motel or B & B).
- More chic: 140 to 220 CA $ (105 to € 165) for 2. Top class hotels and B & B charm.
- Very smart: It's more than $ 220 (€ 165) for 2.


In addition to taxes (a little over 10% in restaurants), add the gratuity (tip), mandatory, about 15%. Ultimately, it is 25% higher prices displayed menus that there should be!

Prices below reflect a meal consisting of a simple dish; it is usually more than enough to be able to do without something else.

- Cheap: Less than $ 15 Ca (11 €).
- Average Prices: 15 to $ 25 Ca (11 to 19 €).
- More chic: more than 25 CA $ (19 €).

Taxes and gratuities (tips)

Prices shown are not the ones you'll actually pay. In hotels and shops, the customer must also pay two taxes: a harmonized sales tax, 14% plus GST (Goods and services, GST in English) which is 6% (the Alberta does not apply). A total count is 20% higher than the prices quoted.

In restaurants, applicable taxes and GST are the Liquor Tax (Liquor Tax). Together, they represent just over 10% of the bill ... that it will still add the service, about 15% of tax-free.

Since 2007, there is unfortunately no longer possible to recover the GST. No need to keep all receipts as the good old days...

The tips

These are the tips. Servers have a very low salary (about $ 6 an hour Ca), and most of their income comes from tips. It is an institution to which you must not deviate. It is customary to leave 15% of total tax-free.

If you pay the bill with a credit card, do not forget to fill your own box "Tip" which appears on the receipt, otherwise, the server can handle it himself ... On some more modern aircraft, it must first enter the desired tip (either $ or in% Ca) before dialing code.


- The famous cover of 100% Wool Bay Company Hudson (called coverage points), on sale in the store chain Hudson's Bay Compagny. The pattern with green stripes, red, yellow and black on white, has never changed.

- For fans, the famous whiskey Crown Royal and Canadian Club, Canadian specialties.
- The Indian handicrafts: it is in the West that is the most renowned Native American artists, as Bill Reid, one can admiring the impressive sculptures at the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver. The museum shop sells some fine reproductions.

- Inuit Art: many shops and galleries reserve an important place for Inuit sculptures, made of soapstone (steatite). To authenticate the artist's work, the Canadian government applies a label showing an igloo.

- In Alberta, you will bring boots and cowboy hats, but also leather belts "western" and the famous "tie" of the West.

- BEST: the discs are cheaper, as well as clothing (including jeans), electronics (computers, mobile phones, cameras ...) or sports equipment. Think you pay the tax. Look for sales and promotions (advertised in newspapers)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.