Monday, September 28, 2015

Hermitage Museum


The State Hermitage – A Museum of Art & Culture

The State Hermitage, a museum of art and culture is situated in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It is one of the oldest and the largest museum in the world which was founded by Catherine the Great in 1764. It had been opened to the public since 1852.

Majority of the Hermitage collection has been kept in the Winter Palace which was formerly the official residence of the Romanov Tsars and its many annexes. There seems to be several other sites establishing part of the Hermitage, including the recently opened Storage Facility towards the north of St. Petersburg that provides guided tours through some of the vast stocks of the museum.

The guide visit to Hermitage has been designed to help tourist to find their way around this massive collection together with a detailed tour of the focal site with information on each of the affiliated museums. The museums main architectural joint is situated towards the centre of St. Petersburg which consist of the winter Place, the former state residence of the Russian emperors, buildings of the Small, Old-Great and the New Hermitages, Hermitage Theatre and the Auxiliary House.

Three Million Works on Exhibit

The Hermitage Museum complex tends to include the Menshikov Palace as well as the Eastern Wing of the General Staff building. It also includes the Staraya Restoration and the Storage Centre together with the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory in St. Petersburg. With the exception of the Louvre, there seems to be no other museum in the world that competes with the Hermitage in quality and size.

 It has a massive collection which is so large that it would take years to view it completely. There are almost three million works on exhibit. It is said that the museum is particularly strong in Italian Renaissance and French Impressionist paintings. It possesses an outstanding collection of works by Rembrandt, Picasso and Matisse.

 Tourists visiting it could take advantage of its amazing Greek and Roman antiquities collections together with its exhibits of Siberian and Central Asian art. The attraction of the museum is its fine interior decoration and its architectural details and its interiors is so amazing in its own right that visitors tend to find it the best way to tour the museum by making several briefer visits instead of a frantic and exhausting lengthy tour.

Museum Opened After Revolution of 1917

The origin of the Hermitage could be traced to the private art collection of Peter the Great who had purchased various works at the time of his travel abroad and thereafter had them hung in his residence. The collections had been expanded considerably by Catherine the Great and she with her successor had built the Hermitage collection in huge part with purchases of the private assortments of the Western European aristocracy and the monarchy. Nicholas II who had ascended the throne by that time in 1917 became the heir to the greatest collections of art in Europe.

After the Revolution of 1917, the museum was then opened to the public where the collections were further increased with the addition of modern works that were taken from private collections. Presently the Hermitage has gone on a major renovation attempt and its collections is in the process of being updated with several of its works being made available for the first time to travelling exhibits beyond the country.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Historic Hotels of America Offer More for Travelers

The Historic Hotels of America program is a program operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. This nonprofit organization has one goal in mind: the protection and preservation of historic buildings across America. It creates and releases an endangered list every year that shows the top buildings in danger in cities all across the country. The National Trust for Historic Preservation started the Historic Hotels of America program to protect older hotels and inform the public about those hotels. When looking for a place to stay on your next vacation, you just mind find that these older hotels offer more than modern hotels do.

Elegant Restaurants

Are you a foodie and in need of a hotel that will tempt your taste buds? Historic hotels offer some great dining options for guests. Many of these hotels even won awards for the foods they serve and have professional chefs who can cater to any of your dietary needs or wishes. You will find hotel restaurants that source local ingredients from farms and farmers markets in the area and other hotels that specialize in specific types of cuisine, including elegant French dishes or authentic Italian meals.

Outdoor Fun

With traditional motels, the only outdoor fun you might experience is taking a dip in a heated swimming pool. Historic hotels offer much more for travelers. If you love upstate New York, you can book a room in an older hotel with the forest right outside the front door. If you're more of a beach goer, you might stay in a hotel located right on the beach. Other activities often available on-site at historic hotels or nearby include horseback riding, boating, bicycling, hiking and nature tours.

Historic Tours

The number one reason to choose historic hotels over modern hotels is for the historic tours that are typically available. These tours give you an in-depth and detailed look at the hotel. You'll learn all the funny stories throughout the history of the structure, find out what changes and renovations former or current owners made and whether any famous celebrities stayed at the hotel in the past. Some hotels also offer walking tours of historic buildings in the surrounding area. Don't forget about the ghostly tours available at haunted hotels. These tours might leave you checking under your bed before going to sleep.

Other Benefits

There are some other great benefits of staying in an older hotel that you can see when you check the Mohonk Mountain House profile and profiles of other historic hotels online. These hotels provide you will all the benefits of staying at a smaller bed and breakfast, including friendly and attentive staff, elegantly decorated rooms and gorgeous views of the surrounding region. You may also find packages that come with a round of golf, a spa experience for you and your partner or even tickets to a nearby amusement park. Historic hotels give you more bang for your buck than modern hotels do.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Zizkov Television Tower


Zizkov Television Tower – Unique Transmitter Tower

The Zizkov Television Tower is one of those unique transmitter tower built between 1984 -89 in Prague. It was designed by the architect Vaclac Aulicky and the structural engineer Jiri Kozak and stands high above the city’s traditional skyline from its perch on top of a hill in the district of Zizkov from where it derives its name. It is an example of the high-tech architecture.

It provides the devices for transforming TV signal covering a huge territory and also offers three cabins at a height of 93 meters together with a restaurant providing an amazing view of the city at a height of 66 meters. Objects at the distance of 100 kilometres can be viewed in a good weather.

The structure of the tower seems to be unconventional which is based on a triangle with the corners up in steel columns, comprising of three tubes with a double steel wall that are filled up with concrete. These support the nine pods as well as the three decks for the purpose of transmitting equipment.

Out of the three pillars, one tends to spread significantly higher than the rest providing the necessary height for some antennas together with the structure’s rocket and scaffold appearance.

Unique Technology Patented by Authors

The tower stands at 216 metres high and during its time, it was a unique technology which was patented by the authors.Three pods are positioned immediately beneath the decks towards the top of the tower and are utilised for equipment linked to the tower’s main function and are not accessible to the public.

The remaining six pods are kept open to visitors, the highest of which are observations rooms at a height of 100 metres. This provides an amazing view of Prague together with the surrounding area. The lower three, about half way up the length of the pillars at 63 meters accommodate a refurbished restaurant and café bar.

The elevators have been equipped with speedometers, which tend to transport passengers to the various levels at a rate of 4 m/s. The weight of the tower is around 11,800 tons and is utilised as a meteorological observatory and is also a member of the world Federation of Great Tower.

Highest Construction in Prague

The Zizkov Television tower is the highest construction in Prague and also the highest tower in the Czech Republic of about 260 meters. The parking area beneath the tower has been designed to accommodate about 70 cars. Another amazing thing about the tower is that 10 huge babies have been created by sculptor David Cerny that seems to be climbing the tower.

They had been put on the tower for the first time on 29th May 2000 and became very popular. Zizkov Tower or Park Tower Praha as it has been rebranded, has been the subject of great admiration for long and has been included by some as a Czech national treasure and rejected by others as conflicting and aggressively innovative eye sore in a city which is dominated by marvellously preserved historic architecture.

A high ranking principal on `ugliest buildings in the world’ lists, public opinions has warmed to the high edifice since 2000 when the Czech sculptor and David Cerny released 10 giant fiberglass babies on its pillars. These were meant as a temporary installation but the babies were so beloved that they remained fixed to the tower and became famous. Zizkov Tower doubles as a transmitter as well as an observation tower offering awe-inspiring views from its public observatory.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Neuschwanstein Castle – Real Castle of Sleeping Beauty


The Neuschwantein Castle – Fairy-Tale King

The Neuschwanstein Castle was opened to the public seven weeks after the death of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, in 1886. It was also known as the `Fairy-tale King’. King Ludwig was a great admirer as well as supporter of Richard Wagner, a world renowned composer and the castle had been built in his honour with several rooms in the castle’s interior inspired by Wagner’s characters.

 The beautiful castle also served as an inspiration for the castle in `Sleeping Beauty’ which later on was adapted as a famous Disney castle towards the start of each film that was produced by that production house. Neuschwanstein, New swan stone, is one of the fairy tale castlesin the world which is perched on top of rocks above the ravines, 5 km east of Fussen and literally means `new swan cliff’.

It is now one of the most visited castles in Germany and the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. Each year 1.4 million people come to explore the castle and in summer around 6,000 visitors a day walk through the rooms which were intended for a single inhabitant. The castle is situated in Bavaria in the proximity of the town of Fussen.

Medieval Castle in Appearance/Interiors Amazing

Neuschwanstein actually means `New Swan Castle’ with reference to `the Swan Knight’, who was one of the Wagner’s characters and looks precisely like a fairy-tale castle built in the 19th century in Bavaria when castles had no defensive purposes.

Though it appears like a medieval castle its interior has state of the art technology of that time. For instance on each floor of the castle there are toilets with automatic flushing system together with air heating system for the entire castle. Water supply is done from a nearby spring located at 200 meters above the castle.

The castle’s positioning is also a fairy-tale one which is located in the Alps in Bavaria, Germany amidst a splendid landscape atop a hill and overlooks the Hohenchwangau valley. Tourists visiting the castle will find the landscape surrounding the castle extremely awesome. The town of Fussen which is near Neuschwanstein is also a popular tourist destination in Germany. In 1869, the construction of the Neuschwanstein castle began and was initially projected to last three year.

Inner Garden Walled Courtyard & Artificial Cave

However Ludwig II desired that the castle should be perfect and hence the huge building remained incomplete at the time of his death in1886. The castle had an amazing inner garden surrounded by a walled courtyard and also had an artificial cave.

The palace comprised of guardhouse, chivalric house having a square tower and fortified castle with two towers on the west end. The entire configuration had theatrical effect from outside as well as inside and the interior were decorated with scenes from the operas of Wagner, chandeliers together with semi-precious stones and amazing sculptures.

Its interior was as beautiful as its exterior and though only 14 rooms were completed prior to his sudden death, they were majestically decorated. The throne room of two storeys had been designed in Byzantine style having wall paintings, portraying angels and oddly there does not seem to be any throne in the Throne Room since Ludwig died before it got completed.

Walt Disney was the source of inspiration to this fairy-tale look of Neuschwanstein castle in creating the Magic Kingdom and presently it is the most visited castle in Germany as well as one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Hoover Dam


Hoover Dam – Remarkable Structure in Modern History

Hoover Dam, one of the most remarkable structures in modern history, once known as Boulder Dam is a concrete arch-gravity dam in the Black Canyon of Colorado River. This is on the border between the U.S. states of Arizona and Nevada and was built between 1931 and 1936 at the time of the Great Depression.

In early 20th century, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation formulated plans for a huge dam on the Arizona-Nevada border to control the Colorado River and to provide water as well as hydroelectric power to the developing Southwest area.

Construction of the same was an immense challenge with the crew getting bored with carbon monoxide choked tunnels and dangling from heights of 800 feet in order to clear canyon walls.

 The largest dam in the world during its time of completion in 1935, this National Historic Landmark tends to store up to 9.2 trillion gallons of water which is equal to two years of the river’s annual flow, in Lake Mead in order to irrigate 2 million acres of land as well as serves as the most famous tourist attraction. The view from the dam provides a spectacular look at Lake Mead, the country’s largest man made reservoir.

Dedicated By President Franklin D. Roosevelt

It had been dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 39, 1935. The construction of the dam was the consequence of a huge effort involving thousands of worker which cost over one hundred lives and the dam was eventually named after President Herbert Hoover.

This Hoover dam of 1244 feet length, 660 feet thick and 726 feet high concrete behemoth tends to hold back so much water that it deformed the earth’s crust causing 600 small earthquakes in the decade after it was constructed.

More than 100 workers had died constructing the Hoover Dam and according to legends, some of them seemed to be buried within its concrete cover-up. Out of those, 96 have been identified as official `industrial victims’, enabling the families of the victim to obtain compensation for the same. Those that were not included in the 96 were the individuals who had died from pneumonia, a diagnosis which is believed to be a cover for exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Six Companies – Body Governing Huge Construction

Those who had perished due to pneumonia often seemed to work with gasoline powered equipment in a 140 degree F, in poorly ventilated space. On claiming pneumonia as the cause of death enabled Six Companies, the body governing this huge construction undertaking to follow a loophole preventing the payment of death benefits to families and surprisingly no one had died of pneumonia during that period.

Massive seven foot deep and seven foot wide buckets were used to pour concrete into square and rectangular forms ranging from 25 by 25 feet to 25 by 60 feet, to build the dam.

Based on the square footage of the block required, the concrete level would rise to around two to six inches after each pouring of the concrete which made it quite difficult to lose a worker in a small increase in depth.

 Falling into the concrete could have become a problem but the workers were quickly extracted before the concrete would get hardened up.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

San Zhi, Taiwan


San Zhi Abandoned Vacation Resort

San Zhi is an abandoned vacation resort, nestled along a short stretch of coastline in Northern Taiwan This luxury vacation spot is a complete mystery to locals as well as the tourists and there are several stories regarding the situations which lead to its desertion.

However no one seems to be aware precisely as to why or how the site came to be in that state of disorder. The Sanzhi UFO houses also known as the Sanzhi Pod houses or Sanzhi Pod City are a set of pod shaped buildings which tend to resemble Futuro houses and prefabricated flying saucer shaped housed designed by Matti Suuronen.

The weird looking space village on the outskirts of Taipei was originally erected in the early 1980s for wealthy urbanites intend on being away from the city during weekends and the construction of the innovative resorts eventually stoppedafter a series of fatal accidents.

The most known popular story of its ultimate decline claims various mysterious accidents resulting in numerous deaths leading to the termination of the construction and the project was abandoned in 1980 which was due to financial losses, lack of investment together with a number of deaths taking place at the time of construction.

Ruins of the Future

Left to the fate of time and vandalism, the abandoned Sanzhi Pod City found itself on the tourist map due to its weird architecture and other worldly appearance and the deserted city came to be known informally as the `ruins of the future’.

Locals were of the belief that the area could be haunted. Though it was never opened as a vacation resort, San Zhi can still be explored and the pod like buildings acts as a tourist attraction. The colours of the pod like structures are determined by their location where the buildings towards the west area are made of green shade, while in the east are pink, in the south are blue and in the north are white in colour.Presently all that remains are colourful pod shaped homes which are scattered all across the overgrown coastline.

It would not have become the resort centre which was once intended but San Zhi has now become a tourist attraction in recent years where visitors can explore the isolated graffiti-scattered ruins.

Developers Plan to Turn into a Tourist Destination

Sanzhi Pod City, during its negligence has also served as the subject of a film and used as a filming location by MTV. It has also been shot on several occasion and appeared in various articles contributing to the talks of several online discussions. Inspite of an online petition to re-establish one of the buildings as a museum it was completely destroyed towards the end of 2008.

Developers are hoping to turn the site into a tourist destination with hotels, beaches with amenities. According to legend the doomed resort and the loss of life are attributed to a Chinese dragon sculpture which was disturbed to widen an approach road at the time of the construction while other suggest that the site was once a burial ground for the Dutch soldiers when the Netherlands had established Taiwan in 1624 as a colony.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Rosenheim -Bavaria


Rosenheim – Independent City/Seat of Administration

Rosenheim the independent city is situated in the centre of the district of Rosenheim – Upper Bavaria and is also the seat of administration of this province. Rosenheim is the third largest city in Upper Bavaria having over 61,000 inhabitants.

It is one of 23 administrative centres in Bavaria and hence the economic centre as well as the busiest place in this region. Landscape surrounding Rosenheim was shaped at the time of the last ice age from the progress of the Inn Valley Glacier.

Thereafter from the Rosenheim lake which existed about 10,000 years back covering the entire Inn Valley till the Wasserburg am Inn around 25 km north of Rosenheim. In several places around the city, the earlier shoreline is recognised where the past flat lake bed changed suddenly into a moderately steep mound.

The development of Rosenheim can be traced from its location on interconnecting major trade roads. In earlier times, too, the city’s interconnecting traffic inspired its development as a market town and consequently evolved from market to salt trade and then railway town to present day’s wood and college town.

Various Theories on Origin of Name of City

The origin of the name of the city is not totally clear. Mentioned first in 1234, Rosenheim castle which is on the eastern bank of the Inn, present day’s castle hill, overlooks a new bridge over the Inn. The name could have come from the Rosenheim Rose emblem of the Wasserburger Earl Hall who had built the castle.

Some other theory state that originally the name Ross was derived from the Rossern steed which were utilised during the medieval times in order to pull the river transport vessels for which there were large stables in Rosenheim. Being in use still in present time, the street names Am Esbaum or Am RoBacker are probable indications.

Yet another theory suggest that there could have been a kindred word Roas, Roze oder Ried which meant swamp and peat bogs that are still to be found around Rosenheim obvious by the name of the neighbouring town or Rosenheim Kolbermoor. The name could also be derived from Rosenheim personal names like Roso/Hrodo.

Importance of Rosenheim – Inn & Matching Inntal

Important to the establishment of Rosenheim is the Inn as well as the matching Inntal. The Romans who had arrived under the leadership of Drusus and Tiberius, in the year 15 BC had founded the East right area of the Inn, the province Noricum and towards the west of the Inn, Rhaetia.

 A road through the burner to Castra Regina was built by the colonizers and one running east-west road from Iuvavum to Augusta Vindelicum. Interconnection of these two massively important trade routes was protected by military station by the name `Pons Aeni’. The Romano Celtic settlement prevailed for some 500 years with that name.

Pons was in the midst of Aeni Isinisca. The town became important as a hub for all kinds of goods which were transported to the Inn, receiving the 1328 Markets status. Rosenheim ship masters had made the region very wealthy during this period through the transport of goods owing to the location between the Hall in Tirol the Inn and towards the Danube down to Vienna and Budapest.

However during the 17th century, Rosenheim experienced economic decline due to the decline of Inn Shipping Company and the significances of the Thirty Years Wars. Beside this, there was also a plague epidemic and a market fire.

Monday, September 7, 2015

Newspaper Row


Newspaper Row/Park Row – Home of NY World Newspaper

Newspaper Row or Park Row as it is presently known was considered as the home of most of New York City’s newspapers in the 19th century and the buildings accommodated the New York World newspaper, The New York Tribune and The New York Times, were the first paper in the city which moved in the building that was especially built for that purpose when it moved in 1958 to 41 Park Row.

As news continues to make its way all over the world, it could have been hard to imagine that the publishing industry had been at the epicentre of the world’s most important architectural achievements. Indication of how important Newspaper Row seemed to be at the time, The New York World Building was the first structure in the city to exceed the height of Trinity Church.

Besides this it was also the world’s tallest building from 1890 to 1894. The 16 storey, 309 foot building at 99 Park Row was topped by a copper dome with the office of Joseph Pulitzer inside. This semi-circular office had three windows with clear views to Brooklyn, Governor’s Island and Long Island, with ceiling frescoes and embossed leather lining the walls.

Greatest Newspaper Building in the World

Moreover, in the dome, there was also another office for Pulitzer’s brother-in-law, with a library and a conference room. The New York World signalled its own building as `The Greatest Newspaper Building in the World’.

Towards late 19th century, a collection of buildings near and along Park Row in the proximity of those busy news engines such as City Hall and the city’s courts accommodated almost all daily newspaper in town like The Herald, The Sun, The Tribune, The World, The Journal and The Times. Tough editors and publishers such as Charles Anderson Dana and Joseph Pulitzer dominated over newsrooms where gaslight had been shifted to electric and spittoons, hand-cranked telephones as well as suspenders were still common.

 Several of the city’s commerce as well as the government together with its housing were within blocks of these newspapers and reporters found it easy to arrive at the scene of a story within a short span of time, either by foot, horse, car or the new elevated steam trains that were being developed for a booming and a self-important city with a million and a half inhabitants.

Era & Its Charm Captured in Park Row

History written by Allen Churchill in 1958, `the era and its charm captured in Park Row, portray `Newspaper Row of the day was populated by redoubtable figure who wrote noble, Shakespeare-tinted prose about routine fires or edited copy with diminishing whiskey bottle close at hand, ‘ which he wrote in a flair of exaggeration.

Eight dailies were crowded on the narrow, twisted area of Washington Street in downtown Boston known as `Newspaper Row’. Eight was quite a number and difficult for each other with regards to space and circulation. The Boston papers cultivated their traditional patter of frantic promotion, careless reporting and showy makeup.

The dailies eventually moved out over a period of time till only the Globe was left on Newspaper Row. For 86 years, daily, an employee of the Globe would climb a ladder propped against the building and post headlines on it.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

New Maxwell Street Market, City of Chicago

Credit: City of Chicago

Maxwell Street Market

Maxwell Streetan east west street in Chicago, Illinois intersects with Halsted Street towards south of Roosevelt Road. The Maxwell Street Market is located from Halsted Street to 16th street and though there were many fine stationary departmental stores there, a notable feature of the area was its open air market; predecessor to the flea market scene in Chicago.

 One can purchase, all legal as well as illegal products here. The Maxwell Street neighbourhood is part of the Near West Side and one of the city’s oldest residential regions. It is considered as the location of the celebrated Maxwell Street Market as well as the birthplace of Chicago Blues and the Maxwell Street Polish – sausage sandwich.

Inexperienced entrepreneurs in need of jobs and quick cash had come to Maxwell Street and according to many it was the largest open air market in the country to earn a living. Maxwell Street offered discounts to consumers on most of the items from clothes to produce, car, appliances, tools and much more and was an economic hub for poor people interested in improving their way of living. Merchandise was considered to have originated from pirated or hijacked etc. for quick resale and distribution of articles.

Important Change in American Retail/Economic History

The Maxwell Street Market was an important change in American retail as well as economic history. It was a response as well as rejection to stand-alone retail institutions together with their price structures. In a period of political change and civil unrest,Maxwell Street Market seemed to flourished as a multicultural occurrence where each group and culture respected the others and interacted beyond their prevailing national issues.

Maxwell Street was called the Ellis Island of the Midwest and the local politics were interested in the market’s audience. At the time of election, several placards as well as signs were brought and everything seemed to be well organised.

Spot holders, roamed the streets, interacting with vendors in order to maintain regular vending spots for which discreet cash payments were accepted and those that were cost free often had their spots taken over by other vendors. Maxwell Street Market was moved in 1994 by the City of Chicago for the expansion of the University of Illinois at Chicago and was relocated few blocks further east to Canal Street and was renamed, the New Maxwell Street Market.

Maintain International Flavour till Date

Till date, the New Maxwell Street Market still maintains the international flavour where some people come for the bargains on new as well as used items while others just come for the street food. The food vendors at the market dish up some of the widely considered best street eats in the city.

 Thereafter, in September 2008, Maxwell Street Market was once again moved to Des Plaines Avenue. Maxwell Street has been one of Chicago’s most unconventional business as well as residential regions. Around a mile long and placed in the shadow of downtown skyscrapers, it tends to be a place where businesses tend to grow selling almost anything from small items to expensive clothes.

The tradition follows till date at Maxwell Street Market featuring bargains with international taste all year round on Sundays from 7am to 3pm.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Limelight Marketplace

Limelight building in 2010

Limelight Marketplace Built in 1840 – An Episcopal Church

Limelight Marketplace is lodged in a building which was built in 1840s and was an Episcopal church, Manhattan’s well-known former house of worshipfor over a century prior to be bought by a commune in 1970. It was sold for $495,000 to Odyssey Institute, a drug counselling organization before one of the New York’s most modern club promoters Peter Gatien bought it for $1.65 million and took charge in 1983.

The club had been dubbed Limelight and the famous artist, Andy Warhol had hosted its inaugural party there. Being popular as it was with the clubgoers, it was also famous with the police who sometimes locked its doors on receiving complaints on drug use and dealing.

Limelight was notorious for its drug powered parties and closed in 2001 though the other clubs operated in the space till 2007.Towards 1996, the Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation a company dealing in retail spaces had bought the church when the club went into bankruptcy after Mr Gatien fell behind on his mortgage and gained full control after buying the building in 2001 for $3.2 million. The space is now utilised as a mall with boutiques as well as restaurants though the concept is getting off the ground.

Combination of Gift Bazaar & Departmental Stores

Mr Menashe, who seems to have background in retail, has been leasing the space from Ashkenazy for unrevealed terms. With around 35 upscale boutiques and restaurants within it lancet windowed walls on Avenue of the Americas in Chelsea, the Limelight Marketplace in the 19th century landmark church, is a combination of gift bazaar as well as departmental stores.Vendors tend to set up alongside within the 12,000 square foot complex, some of which in small berths of 100 square feet where shoppers could pay for their purchase at the central checkout counters.

There are 60 spaces in total and the building is about 90% leased according to the developers. Some of the tenants have taken more spots like Brocade Home, a SoHo store which uses nine berths on the second floor with one on the ground floor. Other established brands include Le Sportsac, Baci Gelato as well as the bootmaker Hunter, its first stand-alone New York store.

While the marketplace recall the church’s heyday as a club, Mr Menashe had made attempts to change it looks and on a particular tour of the space while drills droned, he observed that in several places limestone wall had been scraped of 15 layers of paint, revealing it natural surface.

With gut renovation of a $15 million, the interior has been made much brighter in the building’s often belligerent quarter century as a nightclub though the space has retained the maze-like feel which was a hallmark of the Limelight.

According to the project’s developer, Jack Menashe, who had gone to the Limelight in the late 1980s several times, stated that they wanted that feeling of discovery like finding something new and exciting around every corner, though did not want to be that associated with the past. The church for over a century, whose cornerstone had been laid in 1844 at West 20th Street and Sixth Avenue, had not seemed notorious.

However, a century later, a decreasing congregation led the church to merge and in 1976 after the last Mass was celebrated, a commune by the name Lindisfarne Association took over before leaving for Colorado after some years.